The South West Design Review Panel (SWDRP) is a proven mechanism for raising design standards. Created in 2005, SWDRP reviews development projects from all localities within the South West. We provide independent, multi-disciplinary, expert advice – a candid friend, supporting whenever we can, seeking explanations, discussing options, identifying opportunities, and sometimes calling for a rethink.
The Panel is based at Creating Excellence and is part of the national Design Network.
“Local planning authorities should have local design review arrangements in place to provide assessment and support to ensure high standards of design“. – National Planning Policy Framework
The Panel is made up of some 30 experts from a range of disciplines, led by Peter Clegg of Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios. For the full panel membership, please click here.
Creating Excellence also runs the Housing Excellence Design Panel that offers design review and Building for Life 12 Design Support. For the panel membership, please click here.
SWDRP and HEDP work to the well-established ten principles of design review:
- Focused on outcomes for people
- Focused on improving quality
To read the principles in full, please click here.
For what users have said about the Design Review, click here.
For a complete list of our design services and charges, click here.
To discuss putting a case forward for design review, please start the process by submitting this form: click here.
“The project had some quite challenging architectural issues to resolve and the Panel gave us some helpful guidance on how we might address these. This gave comfort on the direction to go and must be held as a contributing factor to the unanimous decision to grant.” – Edward Skeates, Projects Director, Grosvenor
“The Panel’s comments gave the LPA the confidence that this was indeed a good quality, well designed scheme.”
– Mendip District Council
Benefits of Design Review
- Offers an objective and fresh viewpoint, identifying flaws or opportunities that the designer has failed to recognise;
- Can offer support and encouragement to good schemes;
- Can identify inappropriate or simply bad design and point to improvements;
- Brings a breadth and depth of experience that may not be available to the project team or to the planning authority;
- Can offer expert views on complex issues such as sustainability;
- Can broaden discussions and draw attention to the bigger picture.
SWDRP is hosted by RIBA South West.
RIBA South West, Unit 4.8, Paintworks, Bath Road, Bristol, BS4 3EH
Tel: 0117 9723777